Atari 2600 Complete

Finally picked up the Atari 2600 again.  I found someone selling a unit with 100 games for $100 in town.  I managed to score it for $75 but it only actually had 60 games..  Still turned out to be 40(ish) games I did not have before. and Sadly that Atari did not work.  (Discussed with seller and we agree’d it wasnt an issue because the games were what I was after, but hey.  another to sort out right…)

however of course I want to be able to PLAY these games… I’m tired of emulators.  I took the WIP unit out of the box, re opened it and decided to finish it.  this whole thing really should have been like an hour project one afternoon, not sure why I shelved it.  But I wired the transister boost I built previously, gave it power, a game and turned it on.   wow… whats that nasty hum… oh wait, theres a short for sure!….

20 minutes and a ton of tests for shorts/etc later I discovered when I made the original circuit, I put the transistor in backwards… on top of that I for some reason put the ground on the video in and the video in to VCC.  not smart.

oh well.  disassembled that bit.  reversed the in and out lines so the transistor was correct, and tested again.

and Voila!  things are running.  Before looking at the photos, I KNOW I need to work on my photo skills and my phone is NOT a suitable camera.  I’ve previously liked the details of the mod I installed and how it works, so feel free to go look at that post here

if you have any questions or just want details, please feel free to reach out to me.  I can create a schematic and wiring diagram for anyone that isn’t satisfied with the link

And finally a horrible video of it working

Leave a Reply