So one of the many things keeping me so busy these days is a large portion of people who really liked the RetroPie custom build I’ve made. So I figured I would explain what all was done.
first bought a bunch of RaspberryPi 3s. and various controllers as requested per user, then I took RetroPie flashed it to a card. developed a remote admin and update tool. once I had all that working it was as simple as printing the custom cases they wanted and hooking it all up. however I ran into a small issue. It seems the supplier I used for the Raspberry Pi’s used more than 1 source for the SD cards. and some were 112MB smaller than the SanDisk I used. why does this matter, well. pulling an image from one, cannot be written to the other. BUT thanks to some linux power and a little google, I figured out how to shrink the partition and truncate the image file. then it was write the SD cards for them all. from there just finish printing/assembling the 3D printed cases, get all my branding on, test and deploy.
The branding material was done up by my Friend at SignPros Design
all code built and 3D files will be uploaded on GIT once I get them cleaned up and usable. There are a few photos below of the N64 build and the SNES controller for this project. as things improve/progress I will ensure to share all with everyone.
PS: just a note for those legally minded. any ROMS, 3D models/etc were NOT part of the purchase from the buyers. only material costs and time were charged.
Yes, I know i’ve neglected my blog for FAR too long again.. well no more. I’ve made a schedule and I will stick to it. new posts on many of the projects I’ve been working on to come. every week there will be at LEAST one.
first coming up in a day or so will be about the FPGA CPU design i’m playing with. this serves no REAL purpose other than to say look what *I* figured out. and has already elicited assistance from a fellow blogger. Alex from http://langster1980.blogspot.ca was a great help in sorting out my Component embedding whoas.
Then there’s the Coleco Video output fix, 2 AVR projects and a Microchip as well as countless 3D printing updates. so stay tuned!
So, I found this neet litle mini NES case for a Raspberry Pi to 3D print on thingiverse by user DaftMike and decided that I needed to print one. the print went well and there was no problems getting it assembled. But even before I opened his website (linked in the thingiverse) I wanted to make my own button control board and have the PI be able to control the LED. So I started this project..
The 3d printed board in the project is this by user Greystone and has been useful many times. I always intended to re-work the model to include a place to seat the AVR Dragon, but never got around to it.
Anyways back on topic. in the image you see the AVR Dragon connected to the Atmega328p (no arduino code here) along with a Power supply via an LM7508. There is also a tiny little interface PCB I made to connect the AVRDragon to the breadboard and apparently I was to lazy to dig out my ribbon cable so made my own. on the far side the small red logic level board from Sparkfun which will be connected between the ATmega328p and the Raspberry Pi to protect the GPIO. More on this project as things come along and there will be a GIT for all code and schematics.
Whats still missing:
- LED for display
- Buttons (Power/Reset)
- Connection to GPIO for Serial Comm and Power
As always I welcome any and all feedback/comments.